Tuesday, September 26, 2006

modern times

And I thought I wouldn't be able to watch movies while I was here...tsk tsk
Our Communication Club lessons provide us with a weekly dose of 'oh cool. i'm finally out of my bubble' kinda thoughts, not very common with my peers, but is proving to be something I'm enjoying very much. Quite like being back in the Cambridge common room again. Yay! *sigh...I miss those meow-ish sessions

You know what? I just re-read my previous posts...and although I haven't been too pleased with being labeled with the 'spoilt-gulfy-brat' stereotype, I realise that I DO very much sound like one. Daym, have I really changed that much in three months? I mean after living here for such a short time, the old dubai-living, cambridge-going person seems so...so...well to put it,so 'firang'. teehee, how's that for a 'desi' touch?

But come on, I'm not all that alien! Sure I've switched my bug shooing and swatting habits to making a few creepy-crawly friends and naming them, much to the delightment of my friends (Gary did come with me on the plane though). Plus I'm learning the local lingo too. But I'm still the same person. Gulfies are a bit pampered I do admit, but me spoilt?? Oh come on. I've seen spoilt, and there's absolutely no way I'm spoilt. I just miss home ok. Nida is right, we just miss the place we spent the past 19 years in. It was the only home we've known...But yes, I've adjusted here. Everything is so real. There's a very natural, greeny, plant-smelling kind of prettiness about, which tops way over dubai's fakeness. Even the air is real, and not manufactured. I do miss seeing flowers everywhere though...In the end, I'm kindof glad I decided to come here, rather than being the 'AUD going daddy's little girl, who drives around in her little automatic car' (to say in Derek's words) I might have been..

I don't think I can take anymore of this MIC politics though. People gossip too much.

Ban hate. Throw a party for your enemy.
Peace

No comments: